Looking to provision your Polycom phones with Switchvox? If you purchased Phone Feature Packs for your Polycom phone and has one of the supported phones listed below, then you can take advantage of Digium Switchvox Phone setup Tool to help you configure and maintain the phones.
- Fully Supported: SoundPoint IP 320, 321, 330, 331, 335, 430, 450, 501, 550, 560, 650, 670, and SoundStation IP 6000, 7000
- Partially Supported: SoundPoint IP 301, 600, 601, and 4000
- Not Supported: SoundPoint IP 300, 500
Follow the steps below for Polycom IP phones running SIP firmware 1.6.7 or higher:
1) To provision your Polycom phone with the Switchvox Phone Setup Tool, first make sure that:
- Your Polycom phone is listed in the “Unknown Phones” section (Setup -> Phone Feature Packs -> Unknown Phones)
- You are using the eth0 port (Server -> IP Configuration)
- Confirm the phones are on the same local subnet as your Switchvox server
- You have enough Phone Feature Packs to cover the number of phones you are setting up
2) Once the top 3 criteria have been confirmed, reboot your phone to default (Menu -> Settings -> Advanced -> PW: 456 -> Admin Settings -> Reset to Defaults -> Reset local configuration).
3) When the phone is completely back up, reset the ‘Device Settings’ (Menu -> Settings -> Advanced -> PW: 456 -> Admin Settings -> Reset to default -> Reset device settings) which will reboot the phone again.
4) Check the radio box next to the phone MAC address you’re looking to configure in the “Unknown Phone” section of the “Phone Feature Packs”, then click the blue “confirm checked phone” button at the top of the page. The phone should automatically reboot and begin the formatting process, but if it didn’t automatically reboot then you can manually reboot the phone either through its menu or by unplugging the phone. Note: This process could take several minutes and several reboots. Be patient and let the phone do its work so it can pull all the necessary firmware.
5) When step 4 is completed, the phone should display a static screen with the Digium Switchvox logo and the word “New” next to Line 1 on the phone.
6) Next, locate the phone MAC address in the “Unconfigured Phones” section of the phone setup tool. Once the phone’s MAC address has been located, click “Modify” and enter in the extension you wish to configure to this phone and save. This should auto-populate the extension info such as first and last name.
7) Check off the radio box again next to the MAC address and click the blue “confirm checked phones”. This will reboot the phone again, but if not just reboot it manually by unplugging the phone power or go thru its menu options. When the reboot completes, the phone MAC address should be listed under the “Configured Phones” section. Step 7 is the final step, and will configure your phone with the proper extension, register the phone with Digium Switchvox, and populate the contact directory with the phonebook extensions for that particular extension.
8) Congratulations! Your Polycom IP phone should now be configured.
Note: If on step 1 you couldn’t find your Polycom phone’s MAC address under “unknown phones”, or if the phone is on a different subnet / a remote phone, then try these steps to get your phone visible to Switchvox.
- Reboot your phone to default (Menu -> Settings -> Advanced -> PW: 456 -> Admin Settings -> Reset to Defaults -> Reset local configuration).
- When the phone is back up, reset the ‘device settings’ (Menu -> Settings -> Advanced -> PW: 456 -> Admin Settings -> Reset to default -> Reset device settings) which will reboot the phone again.
- After the phone is completely back up, go to Menu -> Settings -> Advanced (PW: 456) -> Admin Settings -> Network Configuration -> DHCP Menu -> Set “Boot Server” to “static” then go back one menu and select “Server Menu” field.
- On the next page, set “Server Type” to “HTTP” and the “Server Address” to “IP.of.the.PBX/pc”. Note: The server address field is case sensitive.
- If the phone remote connects via a WAN, the “server address” will be the WAN IP of the Switchvox network / pc. (ie: 188.8.131.52/pc)
- Save your settings and reboot the phone again.
- Once the reboot completes and is back up, you should now be able to find the phone in the “unknown phones” or the “Unconfigured Section” of the Switchvox “Phone Feature Packs”.
- Go back up and follow the rest of instruction from either step 4 or 5 (depending on where you found the phone MAC address) to complete the phone configurations.
Any question? Just leave a comment below or contact us for assistance.