Ever since Avaya discontinued their popular Avaya 3810 wireless phone, customers have been asking us: “what wireless phone options are available for my IP Office System?”
This has been a hard question to answer since most customers do not need the robust features and range that the Avaya IP-DECT and Avaya WiFi solutions carry. While many have been wishing for an Avaya 3820 wireless phone, currently nothing is being developed yet. Update (2/2013): Avaya has released a new wireless phone option D100/D160
For a quick look, consider some of these wireless options currently available for your Avaya IP Office System:
- Avaya 3920 Cordless Phone: This can be used only on an IP Office running exclusively in “Partner” mode and requires a ETR-6 station card.
- Avaya/Nortel T7406e Cordless Phone: This can be used on the IP Office running both “IP Office” and “Partner” modes and requires a TCM-8 station card or expansion module. The features on the T7406e are great, but the phone requires a TCM station port, which most systems are not pre-configured with.
- Regular Analog Cordless Phone: This can be used on the IP Office running both “IP Office” and “Partner” modes and requires an analog/combo station card or expansion module. This is by far the most cost effective solution, however the feature set is minimal and the phone will act as a single line station.
- Avaya IP-DECT Solution (Avaya 3720, Avaya 3725, Avaya 3740, Avaya 3749): This can be used on the IP Office running in “IP Office” mode only and requires IP resources as well as appropriate licenses. This solution is feature rich and very expandable; however, it is fairly pricey and requires some infrastructure.
- Avaya WiFi Phone Solution (Avaya 3641, Avaya 3645): This can be used on the IP Office running exclusively in “IP Office” mode and requires IP resources as well as appropriate licenses. This solution is feature rich, can utilize existing WiFi networks, and is very expandable; however, is also fairly pricey and requires some infrastructure.
We know there are a great number of choices and things to consider, and we hope the recommendations listed above will help you get started. If you have any questions or wish to go into further details regarding your specific system, please don’t hesitate to contact us at The Telecom Spot or leave a comment below.