Polycom makes some of the best quality SIP VoIP Phones on the market. They work well with most IP-PBX and Hosted VoIP Providers. While most manufacturers and providers will have their own setup guidelines (which you should follow first), there are times when you may need to manually configure your Polycom VoIP phone. We will provide a very basic guide on getting your Polycom phone manually registered to an Asterisk SIP-based system here.
First you will need some basic information to register your Polycom phone:
- IP address of the Polycom phone
- IP address of the Asterisk system and SIP Port used to register (usually 5060)
- SIP extension number and phone password from your Asterisk system for your Polycom Phone
Once you have obtained the information, open up your web browser and enter in the IP Address of the Polycom phone in the Address Bar. Once it prompts you to login, use the following user name and password (assuming it is still default):
- Username: Polycom
- Password: 456
When logged into the Polycom phone’s user interface go to the Lines section (may be under Settings on newer firmwares) and Line 1. Enter the information into the following fields:
- Display Name: SIP Extension Number assigned on the Asterisk system ie. 2000
- Address: SIP Extension Number assigned on the Asterisk system ie. 2000
- Label: SIP Extension Number assigned on the Asterisk system ie. 2000
- Authentication User ID: SIP Extension Number assigned on the Asterisk system, i.e., 2000
- Authentication Password: Phone-password assigned on the Asterisk system
Under Server 1:
- Address: IP Address of the Asterisk system
- Port: Port number for SIP registration ,i.e., 5060
- Leave all other settings default.
Submit to Save settings, which should prompt you to reboot the phone. Check to see if the Polycom phone is registered properly by pressing on the phone: Menu/Settings > Status > Lines.
You should be all set!